Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Diary of a Mad Painter (like "Diary of a Mad Housewife")

I paint only with oil paint- I paint from photos, I usually do my set-ups, then photograph them--I do this as I am slow painter and my flowers would wilt or my fruit would rot--I work full time so generally I paint on week-ends so photos work well. After I put in a wash,I get serious and paint everything the best I can,I think it looks good when I go to bed, then when I wake up the next day I usually hate it so I go over it again--always improving (I hope) but by unexplainable reasoning I can see it better so I know what to fix. This may go on for several painting sessions. That's when magic happens--it is sooo ugly, then all of a sudden it comes together! When I am finished, I never am--I always go back and enhance after it has set for a week or so. It seems like I have to live with it for a while to really see the thing. It's a struggle till it's over then it doesn't seem like a struggle. Painting is strange that way.

3 comments:

  1. Char, I 'get it'! :) Sounds very much like my own typical painting struggles! Then there is the painting that comes along and 'paints itself'... they help keep me going! Loved this post and learning I'm in such great company! Love your works! Keep on struggling... :) it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Teresa--I love your work too. Now if i can get this comment to post I will be a happy camper--have not been able to comment on comments

    ReplyDelete